Monday, June 27, 2011

Mykonos - Friday

On Friday we set sail from Athens to the island of Mykonos. It was about an 8 hour trip and we arrived around 6:00 pm. It was very windy and the boat ride was a tough one. I was feeling a little green and slept on the top deck in the wind. Down below was not a enjoyable place for me. I was happy to see the island of Mykonos.




Mykonos is a glitz island with beautiful white cubed-shaped buildings.



In the village there is a “Little Venice” which was actually influenced by the Ventians when they inhabitated the island many years ago. Here are some pictures of the buildings down the little alley ways.



As on many islands in Greece there are many chapels and churches. Here is one that sits near the shore. It was very small and was open. I went inside and lit a candle and said a prayer for my family.



Here is a famous church on the island the church of Paraportiani of 1425. It has five chapels inside of it.



The island is also known for its windmills. The windmills date back to the 16th century. They were 30 of them on the island used for grinding corn.



Ahhh…. the sunset on Mykonos was beautiful. I missed the beginning because I was talking to my family on the phone but I was able to catch the last few minutes of it.



After getting back on the boat I grabbed a quick bite of dinner and downed some Dramamine. I think Ms. Iten was a little tired of my moaning. I slept like a rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment