Monday, June 27, 2011

Kusadasi- Saturday AM

Kusadasi

Today I visited my second continent, Asia. Our ship docked outside of Turkey and the city of Kusadasi. Today we will visit the home of the Virgin Mary and the ancient city of Ephesus.



The home of Mary was very tranquil and much bigger than I had imagined it in my mind. When archeologists found the foundation they had to use their knowledge to restore the house to what they believed it looked like.



I lit a candle here for the Pius community for all the love and support they have showed me for this trip.



Like all holy places in Greece, photographs were not allowed inside. I did take a picture of a picture of what it looked like inside to show my fourth graders.



This is wall of notes that people left behind for this holy place.

On a side note..... please be sure to let Maggie Elias know how much I loved her neck pillow. It came in handy and might have a little drool on it when I return it! JK

Ephesus

Ephesus is an ancient city that was built sometime before 2000 B.C. the earliest records that they have of this city is from the Amazons. It was a popular trading center in the middle of the ancient Ionian. St. John and St. Paul both lived here in this city. St. John died here and wrote the book of John from the New Testament. The ruins of Ephesus are in much better shape than those we saw in Greece.



Here is a picture of the library. It was amazing!



This was a bathing area for the men. It had little toilet seats that had running water below them that carried the wastes all the way to the ocean (8miles away) and a large bath in the very middle that was open at the ceiling.




This is the Great Theatre. It could hold about 25,000 people. Many famous singers like Elton John and Sting have had the fortune of performing in this ancient theatre. The acoustics were amazing.




Here are some other pictures on the site .





And a picture of my friend, Mr. Crab! I met him in Turkey at the GReat Bazaar (or the market).



No comments:

Post a Comment