Thursday, June 23, 2011

Kalabaka

After a very restful night’s sleep in Kalabaka, we woke at 6:30 and prepared to visit the monasteries of the mountains of Pindos. Here is a picture of our pool and the beautiful view around our hotel. This was the nicest hotel we stayed in.

 I had problems with the 24 hour internet service I paid for and did not receive the entire time I paid for, and they charged me $6 to use my calling card from my room, but I’m trying to leave that behind and enjoy what lies in front of me!!
Like these mountains made of sandstone!!! Look closely at the sides and you will see caves. Many years ago hermits would live in these caves.





The scenery around and up the mountainside was outstanding! We got off our bus at several different locations to take pictures.



We first visited the Monastery of Barlaam. This rock was first inhabited in 1350 AD. The beginning of this present building was built in 1518. We were not allowed to take pictures inside the church or the museum. The churches , St. John the Baptist and All Saints, did not have statues of saints like our Catholic churches at home. Being of Greek Orthodox, they wanted to get away from the idolatry of the Greeks past. So all the walls of the church are painted with biblical scenes and people. These paintings dated back to 1548!!




An Aussi friend, Ken, broke the rules and took a few pictures including one of me sitting in a wooden chair that the monks sit in when they are in the church. He is supposed to email me these pictures when he gets home. Just know I, Mrs. Oakley did not break any rules!!! The women had to wear long skirts and the men long pants. The skirt I am wearing here was provided to me at the ticket booth. It matched my shirt and everything!



This is a picture of the Abbott of this monastery. We were told he does not like to have his picture taken so I tried to be discrete about the picture. However, Ms. Iten and her charm got him to take a picture with her and DOG!! I got the heck out of there when I heard she was going to go ask him. But ask and you shall receive!!



This is a wine cask that was made in the 16th century. It was huge! Many monks fell off the side of the monasteries after emptying it so they never filled it back up! JUST KIDDING!! The monks would make wine and sell. It was in a small room and it was difficult getting a good picture.





Here is a picture of the Holy Trinity Monastery. It is the most difficult to reach. It has many steps down one side of a rock and up another. We did not visit it but stopped for pictures. This monastery was in the James Bond film “ For Your Eyes Only”.



The last monastery was of Saint Stephen. Only nuns and an Abbotess live here. Again we could not take pictures inside the church or museum and Ken decided to not press his luck with the nuns!



It is said that Saint John lived in these mountains as a hermit for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment